Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Jamie's Chicken & Leek Stroganoff
This recipe is from Jamie Oliver's cookbook, Jamie's Food Revolution, a cookbook which my mother gives 2 spoons up or 5 forks, or whatever food-related scale you prefer. Jamie also has a special rice-cooking method:
snacks and sides | serves 4 - 6
This is my basic recipe for getting perfect rice every time. Have a go at mastering it – you’ll be amazed at the light and fluffy results.
Once you’ve got the hang of that, you can have a go at flavouring it - any flavouring you boil with the rice will infuse it with wonderful fragrances and flavours. So try boiling things like fresh herbs, a cinnamon stick, a few cardamom pods, a strip of lemon zest or even a green tea bag in the water with the rice.
Doubling the amounts in the recipe will give you enough rice to serve 8-12 people.
• Put a large pan of salted water on a high heat and bring to the boil
• Rinse the rice in a colander under running water for about 1 minute, or until the water runs clear (this will stop the grains sticking together later)
• Add your rice to the boiling water and wait for the grains to start dancing around
• From that point, boil for 5 minutes
• Drain the rice in a colander
• Pour 2.5cm of water into the pan, put it back on the heat and bring it to the boil again, then turn down to a simmer
• Cover the rice in the colander with foil or a lid
• Place the colander on top of the pan of simmering water and let the rice steam over it for 8 to 10 minutes
• Remove from the heat and if you’re ready, serve immediately
• If not, leave the foil or lid on and put aside until ready to serve – it should stay warm for about 20 minutes
I have placed my picture of it down here, because it really doesn't do it justice. It looks so colorless, which I suppose it is, but that colorless indicates starches, cream, and butter. I think we can all get behind that. (Skinny people who only like skinny people food need not apply.) I stuffed myself beyond what is natural. I looked like I was pregnant with a rice & cream baby.