Monday, February 8, 2010

Guacamole


I made homemade guacamole to go with the tortilla stack. I also made it last night for the super bowl with a few substitutions, and both times it was good.

The main thing I learned is I need to get more avocados than I required because I don't know how to pick out a good avocado. When I made it last week, one of the avocados was so hard I could not smooth it out. I thought it seemed nice and soft at the store, but I was mistaken. When I made it yesterday all my avocados were soft but not brown on the inside, which made a smoother dip.

I didn't use the same proportions or all the same ingredients when I made it yesterday, so I think a recipe may be a bit of overkill. However, because I like following rules, I must provide you with a recipe.

Ingredients
2 ripe avocados (I used 3 yesterday)
1/2 red onion, minced (about 1/2 a cup)
1 - 2 serrano chiles, stems and seeds removed to lessen the heat. I would start with about 1/2 a pepper to make sure it is not too hot. (The second time I made it I used a can of diced chiles because I was out of the fresh)
1 T fresh cilantro, minced
1 T lime or lemon juice
1/2 t course salt (I used regular and more than 1/2)
A dash of freshly ground pepper
1/2 ripe tomato chopped (I used salsa the second time around)

Directions
1. Cut avocados in half. Remove seed. Scoop out and put in mixing bowl.
2. Mash avocados.
3. Add everything but the tomatoes (and hold off on some of the peppers until you taste it).
4. Mix everything together.
5. Add the tomato right before serving.
6. Store in an airtight container. I used foil the first time, and it went from mint green to brown green in an hour. I used tupperware yesterday, and it stayed mint green.

Comer con gusto!

No comments:

Post a Comment