Sunday, February 21, 2010

Creamy Pasta with Chard and Tomatoes



This is in our Gracewood cookbook but I don't think I ever made it before. It is from the Joy of Cooking. It took me a while to find chard in the grocery store but everything else I had in my fridge/pantry. It was very good and easy to make! I'll post the recipe, but my roomies can easily access it in the very fancy gracewood recipes cookbook :)


Ingredients:
olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 to 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled & chopped OR 1 cup chopped, drained canned tomatoes
1 pound chard, trimmed and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
3/4 cup heavy cream
salt & pepper to taste
3/4 cup grated Parmesan

Cooking Instructions:
Heat & cook onion, garlic, & red pepper in olive oil over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, until soft & golden.
Add tomatoes & cook for about 5 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated. Stir occasionally.
Add chard & cook until chard has wilted, about 2 minutes.
Add cream & salt & pepper. Cook 2 minutes or until bubbling. Remove from heat.
Meanwhile, cook pasta. When cooked, drain pasta, retaining a couple tbs of pasta water. Put pasta in completed sauce with some of the pasta water. Toss until well coated.
Add Parmesan.

1 comment: