Sunday, January 31, 2010

No Butter! Vegan sloppy joes and chocolate brownie cupcakes.

So, this is the opposite of a crepe off. My roommate (Amanda) is a vegan, so we decided to make some vegan recipes this weekend while we were snowed in (I am from Florida so I refuse to drive in the snow- I am pretty sure I would drive right into a tree).



The first recipe we made was Sloppy Joes from a vegan cookbook: Skinny Bitch in the Kitch (appropriate because that is kind of my nickname). I was excited about this recipe because I really like the flavor of sloppy joes but I don't really like meat that much. I thought they were good, but they were too watery which may have to do with the fact that we didn't use soy protein (I don't even really know what that is) but vegan Boca burgers instead. If you make this (which I'm sure you guys are going to go out and make them tonight :) I would cut the water.

2 tbsp coconut oil (I used olive oil)
1 green bell pepper cut into 1/4 inch dice
1 stalk celery diced
2 large onions diced
4 oz thinly sliced mushrooms (about 2 cups)
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups water
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
8 tsp soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1 1/2 cups textured soy protein (I used Boca burgers)
4-6 vegan whole wheat buns
2-3 tbsp vegan Parmesan cheese (optional)

Heat oil in 10-12 inch skillet over med-high heat. Add pepper, celery and cook for 2 mins. Add onion and cook 4 mins. Add mushroom, chili powder, salt, and pepper cook 2 mins. Stir in water, tomato sauce, soy sauce, and ketchup. Stir in soy protein increase heat to hight and bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook stirring occasionally for 20 mins.

For the green beans (not in the cookbook) I put some olive oil in a pan and heated it on med-high for a while. Then I put in sliced garlic and took it off the heat for a bit and let it cook in the hot oil. Then I added the fresh green beans and garlic salt let them cook for a while while I finished the sloppy joes. I really like the crunchy garlic in them.



The vegan cupcakes (from cookbook vegan cupcakes take over the world) were actually pretty tasty. Meli, the foreword is by Tegan and Sara- don't you like them? There was a lot of chocolate in them so I don't really know how you can go wrong with that :) Although my whole dinner was vegan, I was not able to eat a chocolate cupcake without a glass of milk. Oh well, I was impressed with my one vegan meal :)

Ingredients
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup soy yogurt
1/2 cup black cherry preserves
1/2 cup soy milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract (I didn't have this so I omitted it)
2 tbsp bourbon or whiskey (despite my impressive liquor cabinet- I didn't have any of that so I used cherry brandy- which is a weird liquor to have)
1 cup and 2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
chopped walnuts for garnish (yuck- I omitted)

For frosting:
2 tbsp melted margarine
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3 tbsp soy milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 confectioners sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin pan with cupcake liner and spray with nonstick cooking spray (whoops I just realized I forgot this which explains why they stuck).

Melt chocolate in double boiler (I miss that Meli!).

Mix yogurt, preserves, soy milk, sugar, oil, vanilla, almond extract, and bourbon in bowl. Preserves should be mixed in very well and there should be no large clumps.

Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix thoroughly- if using handheld mixer for 3 mins on med speed. Incorporate melted chocolate.

Fill liners and bake for 24 to 26 mins. Tops may come out shiny soft and undone but that is OK, they should look that way. Transfer to cooling rack and let cool before frosting.

For frosting:

Beat together margarine, cocoa, soy milk, and vanilla. Add sugar in cupfuls until incorporated.

4 comments:

  1. The picture of the burger cracks me up. It looks like it's talking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does kind of look like it talking! I actually forgot to take a picture of it before I bit it, so I had to turn it around to the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is safe to say I have never had anything as healthy as green beans with my sloppy joes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am confused... I don't understand vegan. How do you baked w/o eggs, and what is vegan Parmesan cheese?

    ReplyDelete